MaxGalleria 1.1 Now Available

Since the launch of MaxGalleria last week, we’ve gotten some great feedback from customers and naturally a couple issues that needed fixing as well. Two of these issues, misaligned image tiles and Vimeo URLs not embedding properly, have been fixed in MaxGalleria 1.1 and is now available for immediate download from your WordPress admin panel.

For those interested, here are the details about those two issues:

Misaligned Image Tiles (Fixed)

A couple people reported that when using the Image Tiles template, the alignment of the image thumbnails weren’t uniform, and their screenshots confirmed it. While troubleshooting those pages where MaxGalleria was used, it was clear that the margin-right styles of the MaxGalleria stylesheets were being overridden by the margin-right styles in their theme stylesheet.

The margin-right styles is a key element in MaxGalleria because it’s critical to how the responsiveness works. After discussing a couple options, we decided to add !important on all margin-right styles, which avoids having them be overridden by theme styles.

Vimeo URLs Not Embedding Properly (Fixed)

A more perplexing issue was a customer reporting that his Vimeo videos would not display with MaxGalleria. This was especially frustrating because we couldn’t reproduce the issue, and all of our testing with Vimeo URLs prior to launch were successful. And not only that, but the specific Vimeo URLs he was using would work for us, but not for him.

After more investigation and digging into WordPress core, it became clear that for whatever reason, the oembed call that WordPress makes for Vimeo wasn’t retrieving the embed code, so it simply returned a link to the Video URL. And like I said, that only happened on this particular customer’s website; the oembed call in our testing was fine.

To fix this, we implemented a fallback mechanism so that now if WordPress doesn’t return an embeddable element from the oembed call, instead of returning a link to the video URL, we manually construct the <iframe> element from scratch for that particular video provider (Vimeo, YouTube, etc). Turned out to be a pretty simple thing to do, and it took a couple days to get it all ironed out, but the customer was able to report his Vimeo videos worked and all was good again.

Tweet Share Share